Europe Vacation – 2009/10 Week 1
23rd to 29th December 2009
23rd December 2009
- Flight from Sydney to Hong Kong.
- 8 Hr Quantas Flight, 11:45AM Boarding – 6:00PM (3 hr time difference) Arrival
- Stayed at Novotel Citygate near the airport.
24th December 2009
- 10:30AM Check out Hotel
- Browse around at adjacent Citygate Shopping Outlets.
- MTR from Tung Chung Station to HK Station to Central
- Lunch at Yung Kee
- MTR to Causeway Bay
- 4pm check in HK international Airport
- 6:00PM Boarding – 10:05 Arrival at Singapore Changi Airport
- Transfer to terminal T3, 11:55pm boarding new A380 Airplane with Singapore Airlines.
25th December 2009
- 14 Hour flight
- 7:05AM Arrival at CDG Airport Paris, France
- RER train to Chatelet, switch to metro line 1 to Saint Paul.
- Stayed at Hotel les jardins de Paris Mariais Bastille (Not recommended)
- Walked to the nearby Place des vosges, a beautiful square/park.
- Metro to Hotel de Ville, walked inside Notre Dame.
- Dinner at nearby cafe, tried the French staple Boeuf Bourguignon.
26th December 2009
- Picked up some cheap drinks and snacks at nearby G20 supermarket.
- RER C to Versailles
- Toured all exhibits in the palace and walked through some of the garden.
- 3:30PM train back to Paris.
- Stopped to look around at chaussee d’antin la fayette, famous high end department store.
- Metro to Bastille and walked down towards St Paul back to hotel.
27th December 2009
- Purchased 2 day museum pass, worth the money just for being able to cut the ticket line (hours of ticket queueing avoided).
- Spent 1/2 the day at the Lourve (First museum visited in Europe and out of all we visited the best).
- Next we took the metro to the Science Museum, Cite des Sciences et de L’Industrie (Impressive building but not really worth visiting, especially if you can’t understand French).
- Final attraction of the day was the Arc de Triomphe, great views of the city of Paris. Even though the Arc isn’t that high up (you ascend it by taking long flights of stairs) you have a great view since central Paris is strictly low rise buildings.
28th December 2009
- Picasso Museum was closed till 2012
- Conciergerie, avoidable.
- Sainte Chapelle, amazing stained glass.
- Musee National du Moyen Age – Musee de Cluny
- Previous 4 attractions are fairly close together so you can one from one to another.
- Centre Pompidou – Musee National d’arts moderne (Modern Arts Museum)
29th December 2009
- Basilica Sacre Coeur
- Skipped the Branly Museum, due to lines. Instead walked to the Eiffel Tower.
- Waited in line from 4-8:30PM. This time of the year is extremely busy, almost unbearable since it was cold, windy and intermittently raining. But worth it due to the view of Paris at night from at the very top.