E3 2011 Nintendo – 3DS Games Galore and Wii Successor Revealed (Wii U)
At Nintendo’s E3 2011 press conference today Nintendo made a number of surprising announcements, much of which we already knew due to rumours over the last few weeks. But no one predicted the full scope and innovation of Nintendo’s approach to their next console. Appealing to core and casual consumers while maintaining the Wii brand they seem to have satisfied the skeptics doubting Nintendo’s future.
The biggest surprise to me is the use of the current Wii Remotes, it seems multiplayer games will be designed with one person holding the tablet while others use Wii Remotes. People who have had time to demo the system commented on the surprising comfort (light and easy to hold) of the tablet controller and fun while playing the various tech demos showing off new game play ideas and possibilities. Disappointments are the lack of other Wii game announcements (or English ports of Japanese games such as Last Story) or more third-party games on the 3DS but the conference isn’t over yet and often more information trickles out over the week. Third party game developer support is not a problem for the Wii U with plenty of developers on board intially bringing out ports of 360/PS3 games such as Batman Arkham City and Assassin’s Creed Revelations.
- Legend of Zelda 25th Anniversary Celebration – Orchestra Worldwide Tour
- Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures – Free for DSi owners
- Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening – Out on the Nintendo eShop
- Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword – Out at the end of this year
3DS Games Announced
- Luigi’s Mansion 2 – Developed by Next Level Games.
- Super Mario 3D – 3D mario platformer but with 2D gameplay elements.
- Mario Kart – Underwater and air sequences, Retro Studios helping with development.
- Kid Icarus Uprising – 3 on 3 multiplayer announced.
- Star Fox 64 3D
- Tekken 3D, Animal Crossing 3DS, Super Smash Bros, Lego City Stories.
- Potential – Kirby, Rhythm Heaven, Paper Mario, Mario Party sequels.
Wii Successor Announced – Wii U
- SPECS – Touchpad controller 6.2 inch in addition to traditional controls, camera, accelerometer, microphone, speakers, 1080P, HDMI, IBM designed CPU (same architecture as Watson), SD and USB HDD support.
- Features – Backwards compatible with Wii games and all controllers (Wii Remote, balance board), full HD graphics, video calls, web surfing, stream content to and from tablet controller.
- Wii U Games Teased – Super Mario Bros Mii, New HD Zelda, Super Smash Brothers, and various tech demos.
- Third Party Wii U Games – Lego City Stories, Darksiders 2, Batman Arkham City, Tekken, Assassin’s Creed Revelations, Ghost Recon Online, DIRT, Alien Colonial Marines, Metro Last Light and Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor’s Edge. Various EA Sports games and potentially Battlefield and Army of Two.
- Onboard Third Party Developers – EA, Ubisoft, Warner Bros Interactive, THQ, Irrational Games, Namco Bandai, Sega and Tecmo Koei.
Posted on June 8, 2011, in 3DS, Articles, Entertainment, List, News, Nintendo, Nintendo Wii, Technology, Video Games and tagged 3ds, announcements, articles, e3, games, news, Nintendo, Video Games, wii, wii u. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.